This is an extract from a text written by the same author as "Reflections of a Retired Spice Merchant and Sometime Mage" (most likely a reference to the spice merchant mentioned by the Elder of Nestowe in Sabriel) found in the Second Spiral of the Great Library of the Clayr.
(list of new information mentioned -> please integrate in the other articles)
- Free Magic entities hid in Death (a Free Magic realm itself) from the making of the Charter.
- After the making of the Charter, thousands of Free Magic entities remained, but over the next 300-400 years most were bound or destroyed (Charter Stones and Wallmakers played an important role here.
- Odd powers trying to help Free Magic come from the Great Rift in the north.
- Free Magic only submits to those stronger than it - it is free-willed, always seeking to escape its bonds.
- Free Magic corrupts human flesh, so users can make new bodies from stronger materials or take over other humans and use their bodies.
- Among the most famous sorcerers taken over by a Free Magic creature is the Great Shaman from the far north during the reign of... (it doesn't continue) -> sounds familiar, check To Hold the Bridge